I started cooking when I was about 10 years old. While in the kitchen I would pretend to be the next Paula Deen and perform my own food network show. “Hey everyone! Welcome to Sandy’s Kitchen, today we will making … ” Haha. And I wouldn’t have had it any other way. I love cooking and what’s so special about me starting at a young age is now I can combine flavors in my head and I know exactly what it tastes like. “Hmm.. let’s make … and throw …. ” gets up, goes to the kitchen and gets to work. That’s exactly what happened here with these Chili Black Bean Meatballs yesterday morning. You will be pleased =)
Chili Black Bean Meatballs
1 tray of all natural ground chicken (336 g)
1 finely diced onion
1 finely diced green pepper
15 oz black beans
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp basil
1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes ( void if you don’t like spicy)
4 tsp chili powder
1 tsp cajun
2 tsp ground garlic
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2) Combine all ingredients in a bowl and massage the mixture with your hands until all ingredients are evenly distributed throughout.
3) Start to form balls about the size of your palms. Each ball is about 57g.
4) Cover a tray with aluminum foil. Spray with olive oil spray or PAM. Lay the meatballs evenly throughout the tray.
5) Allow the meatballs to bake for about 50-60 minutes.
6) Remove from oven after 50-60 minutes or once you see a slight golden brown on the outside.
This recipe is great because one meatball contains 13 g protein, 15.6 g of complex carbs and only 2 g of fat! So you have all your macronutrients balanced out perfectly in one meatball. The strong flavor of cumin along with garlic combined give it an excellent savory taste to the tongue. If you like spicy, the crushed red pepper flakes and cajun give it a nice kick of mild hot flavor. Have one serving with your preferred vegetable ( broccoli, spinach, asparagus, brussel sprouts , etc) and you are all set for lunch or dinner.