Yes, I understand it’s fall and its getting real cold which makes it real easy for us to turn to food for comfort instead of for energy. When we’re cold we tend to hibernate more right? No where to go … not much to do. This also means we have a high level of temptation to reach for things like the apple pie drenched in high frutose corn syrup that our mother’s placed in the center of the table.
So what’s my solution in bringing to you a comforting snack that’s warm, sweet, and in my opinion better than the store bought apple pie?
Oozing Vanilla Cinnamon Baked Apple
Time for you to go make some before you become tempted to reach for
that store bought apple pie.
1/2 scoop creamy vanilla protein powder
1 tbsp low fat cottage cheese
2 tbsp creamy non fat greek yogurt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
pinch of nutmeg
2 tsp organic peanut butter
1 tbsp walnuts
2 tsp stevia
1. Pre-heat oven to 375 F.
2. In the mean time, use a knife remove the core out of the apple. ( Stick knife in the middle of the apple and turn apple around until you have the core cut. Then use a small spoon to remove the core)You can use an apple core remover if you have one. You want to make it big enough so that you can stuff the apple.
3. In a bowl, mix together cottage cheese, 1 TBSP greek yogurt, with cinnamon, nut meg, 1 tsp stevia.
4. Use a small spoon to put this inside the apple.
5. Add peanut butter
6. Sprinkle other tsp of stevia on top.
7. Place in oven for about 30 minutes. (Be prepared for the delicious aroma thats about to fill up your entire house)
8. Take 1/2 scoop creamy vanilla protein powder, and slowly add drops of water until it thickens up.
(Refer to picture for texture)
9. Remove apple from oven, at this point it should be oozing, soft and lightly browned
10. Add walnuts, sprinkle of cinnamon then drizzle the vanilla sauce on top and add another tbsp of greek yogurt on the side
This comforting snack is high in protein and healthy fats while being low in carbs. You can enjoy this as a breakfast or just a mid day snack while you’re relaxing on your couch. Let’s not forget how perfect this would be to add to the table for a Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner dessert! Either way, I hope you enjoy this delicious fall recipe and stay away from bad foods that are NOT worth all the effort you put into the gym.
Trust me, there’s always an easy way around still eating the foods you love without having to sacrifice it. I just proved that to you today. You can say buh bye to store bought apple pie forever 😉